Sunday 25 March 2007

To test or not to test for PM competency?

Question Details: Does anyone know of a simple Networks Skills/Knowledge test for Network-centric project managers?

Nigel Deighton wrote:
Einstein once said "imagination is more important than knowledge" he also said something along the line of "the level of knowledge that got us into this problem is insufficient to solve it" ............... a recommendation, when sorting the wheat from the chaff and talking about people IMHO people are the best at doing this.
As you can imagine I detest tests. They are designed to find out what you don't know rather than find out what you do know. How valuable is resourcefullness and knowledge to your group? Simply put how badly do you want to succeed?
Your team is key.

-------------------------------

Nigel,

Thanks very much. Almost poetic.

I understand where you coming from, but the fact remains that I have 20+ people who think they know something about managing networks projects and I don't have the time or luxury of putting them on a project to see if they're kidding themselves or not.
Nevertheless, I will keep in mind the point you make and try and rule with my heart rather than my head ocassionally.
BTW my wife has just finished reading a book called "Blink" by Malcom Gladwell. "Thinking without thinking" is the strapline. It mentions a Psychiatrist who could assess a couple coming to him for counselling within 15 minutes of meeting them; and predict almost with 100% reliability whether they would still be together in five years. I think I probably have a lesser talent for assessing Network PM's, but unfortunately I don't get to meet all the people face-to-face.


Regards
Rob Gourdie

No comments: