Friday 23 March 2007

LinkedIn: Answers: Are you Prince 2 Certified? Share your experience.


LinkedIn: Answers: Are you Prince 2 Certified? Share your experience.:
My
PRINCE2 Practitioner has just expired and I will be resitting it again soon.
Why?
Many projects and organisations need some tangible backstop to say they have hired a competent PM. Anybody can fudge their CV to make themselves sound like they know what the are doing (trust me, I think I've interviewed most of them!). So I would expect more and more to ask for either PRINCE2 or
PMP certification.
I would also recommend that you have some real world experience under your belt before you sit the exam because the exam asks you to apply the principles to examples of projects
In my opinion; to be a good PM you need experience AND formal training in the 'science' of Project Management. I have heard many older PM's argue Experience against Training, and the fact is you need BOTH. They are often afraid of study and/or find being told how to modify how they do things as an afront to their ego. PRINCE is just a formal collaboration of best practise and it is easy to see the short comings of untrained (but highly experienced) PM's when you start asking the tough questions on formal scheduling techniques, stakeholder- and risk-management for example.
Finally, I am putting more emphasis on PMP these days as I work for a US based corporate in the UK, and PMP is the currency of PM's in North America.

1 comment:

Craig Cockburn said...

FYI, I came across your posting re PRINCE2 and LinkedIn. There's now a LinkedIn group for PRINCE2 professionals

See here: Prince2 LinkedIn