Sunday 15 July 2007

Affluenza and the four hour work week

Following on from what I had seen about Affluenza, a book talking about the lack of satisfaction we get from modern have-it-all lifestyles, I have come across an interview with Tim Ferriss, the author of 'the Four hour Work Week'.

His book talks around two significant concepts:
(a) If big corporates can outsource their low end tasks to the sub-continent, why can't we do that on a personal level? He mentioned some of the companies that offer remote PA services - Your Man in India, Brickwork and Get Friday are a few examples; and
(b) What does your ideal lifestyle actually cost you? Tim Ferriss has a number of calculators that enable you to tally up what that perfect lifestyle would cost you and then break that down to a daily cost. It turns out that your ideal lifestyle may not cost as much as you think and you don't have to wait until your retirement to realise your dreams.

Having just experienced a week of being bombarded by emails, I really see where Tim Ferriss is coming from. I liked his Out of Office auto-reply:
"Due to my high workload at the moment, I am only checking emails twice a day. I will get to your email eventually, but if it is urgent then please call me on my mobile 07xxxxxxxxxx"

The fact was that few people wanted to send him emails he wasn't going to instantly read and even fewer actually thought their issue was urgent enough to bother calling him on his mobile. As you can imagine he is not a big fan of Blackberries, and upon due consideration, neither am I.

No comments: