Monday 16 April 2007

Wok Wifi: The low cost solution to Wifi range issues

Maybe one of my greatest engineering feats, when we moved into our new house I instantly lined up the garden shed (already with power) as my Home Office. After lining the interior and moving in my desk and book case I was ready for business. My connection to the outside world was to be my mobile and a wifi connection to broadband inside the main house. As I was looking to take working from home seriously, I was concerned that my 54Mb.sec 802.11g wireless LAN, could only manage 1Mb/sec 'most' of the time - this would never do.

I was referred to a website of a New Zealand technology college lecturer and his low cost wifi solutions, harnessing the parabolic dishes we come across everyday.



So take:
- one £10 steel wok,
- a 3m USB cable,
- a USB wifi dongle; and
- some brute strength to bang a hole in the bottom of the wok.

and hey presto





18-24Mb/sec all day everyday!!

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

Wow nice!!!

is it efficient both upload and Download? I'm not very knowledgeable with antennas...

Rob said...

I'm not sure what the 802.11g spec is in relation to upload. Of course the max download is 54Mb/s - it could be duplex? Anyway, my BB connection is definitely Assymetric (ADSL) so I don't find the upload any different from fixed line LAN.